The Early Years
Cockermouth Cricket Club was established in 1823 and since that time, it has only ever had one home, which is Sandair on the Gote Road.
Through the foundation years of the club, the ground was rented from the wealthy Senhouse family. This arrangement continued for many years, until the club could afford to buy the ground from the Senhouse family.
The layout of the ground through the early years was different to the modern day ground. For instance, the pavilion was located on the Gote Road side of the ground. The pavilion however, were very basic and simple, but provided a solid base for the fledgling club.
Eventually, the pavilion was built on the far side of the ground in the location where it can be found today. Cars were parked on the Gote Road side of the ground and players walked across the field to the pavilion.
1900 - 1950
The new pavilion had tea rooms, two changing rooms and toilet facilities, which were located to the rear of the pavilion. It would be almost the 1980's before any more structural alterations would be made to the pavilion at Sandair.
After the club's formative years and the rise in popularity in the game of cricket though the Victorian period, some strong and prominent figures were needed to guide the club in the right direction. This guidance came from the likes of
About a third of the way through the 1900's, the James family and the Denham family became deeply involved with the club. These family names were synonymous with the club through these times and the memorials to their work can be seen above the bar in the modern pavilion. They are also represented as Life Members of the club.
In order to be successful, a club needs people involved in it with a variety of different strengths in a variety of areas. From 1955 onwards, Cockermouth Cricket Club has had a collection of such people providing sustained service to the club. These names have been synonymous with the club throughout this period.
Raymond Glover Leyton Denham is today the Club President and Groundsman, despite being in his early seventies. The Denham family's association with the club stretches back over one hundred years.
Raymond Denham (also known as 'Jimmy' or 'J.D') played for the club first eleven as a seamer and hard-hitting lower order batsman. He later went on to captain the second eleven in the 1970's and 1980's before retiring as a player in around 1985.
Since then his work on the Sandair ground has been fantastic. Without his efforts, the club's wickets would not be anywhere near as good as they are today and nor would the Sandair ground be as aesthetically pleasing. Working on the ground is almost a year-round commitment and J.D. gives many hours to this role fixing machinery and preparing and repairing the facilities.
Raymond Denham was voted as a Life Member of the club in.
Maurice Andrews' long association with the club began back in the 1940's and carried on right up to his passing in 2005.
As a player, Maurice was described as a seamer with an arm like a 'rocket', who could reach the stumps at either end from any point on the ground. He bobbed between first and second eleven's during his career and recorded the remarkable figures of 1 over 0 maidens 18 runs and 3 wickets from one second eleven fixture at Edenhall!
It was after his playing days that Maurice (Mobs) would really come to the fore at the club. He single-handedly raised thousands and thousands of pounds for the club in a whole variety of different ways, including raffles, patrons and the world famous 'pie and pea fixtures', which Mobs loved dearly! He was voted as a Life Member of the club in.
Maurice's sad passing in 2005 was a great loss to his many friends at Cockermouth Cricket Club.
The 1950's saw the emergence of one of the club's longest-serving cricketers, Ken White.
Ken scored over 20,000 first eleven runs and took approximately 1,000 wickets in a remarkable first eleven career that started as a fifteen year-old and spanned the 1950's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and new millennium.
Ken captained the first eleven for 14 years winning several Cumberland Senior League Championships and Burton Cups. He also captained the club to it's only ever Meageen Cup (now Cumbria County Cup) in 1966.
George Todhunter is another person who's lifelong involvement with the club has seen him involved in many positive projects, which, without George's guidance could not have taken place.
George played his cricket primarily as a first eleven batsman. When he scored runs, it was usually quickly and stylishly, one particular innings at Kirkby Stephen stands out, when he scored 72 off around 40 balls.
George has been involved in all of the pavilion alterations since the creation of a bar area in the 1970's / 80's, through to extension work and building of showers in the 90's and onto the most recent developments of patio areas in 2007.
Without George's expert knowledge and planning ability, these alterations would not have been possible. For his undoubted services to the club, George was elected as a Life Member in 2007.